All applicants must have a 4 year Honours baccalaureate degree (with at least a B average in the final two years) and must have successfully completed:
- one term of university level courses in Linear Algebra, Calculus, Statistics and Econometrics (3 credits each--half courses), such as York's undergraduate AP/ECON 1530, 1540, 2500, 3210, 3500, 3530, 4210, and 4220.
- two term courses in Intermediate Microeconomics and Intermediate Macroeconomics (6 credits each--full courses). such as York's undergraduate AP/ECON 2300, 2350, 2400, and 2450.
Even though it is not required, admission priority will be given to applicants who have demonstrated excellence in advanced level courses in Microeconomics and Macroeconomics (such as York's undergraduate AP/ECON 4020 3.0 and AP/ECON 4010 3.0).
English Language Proficiency
Applicants who are asked to present evidence of competence in English should note that minimum scores are:
Overall Band Score: 7.0
Overall Band: 4
- All students must have met our admission requirements before being admitted to our graduate program.
- Applicants with an ordinary three-year undergraduate degree do not meet the minimum admission requirements of our graduate program.
- If you do not meet the admission criteria because you have not taken one or more of the required courses in your four-year undergraduate program, you can register at York as a non-degree student and take the missing course(s) before you apply for admission to our MA program. To do that, please contact the Registrar's Office.
- Our graduate program does not offer a qualifying year. If you need additional preparation for the MA program, you may consider taking the 4th-yr undergraduate advanced level Micro, Macro, and Econometrics courses as a non-degree student before applying for admission to our MA program.
- As long as you have met the minimum admission requirements your application will be considered. *However, meeting the minimum entrance requirements is not a guarantee of admission by the Faculty of Graduate Studies*.
- Information on the general admission requirements can be found at Faculty of Graduate Studies—Admissions.